
What’s up, guys? I’ve been pretty well…. well, except for the sleep deprivation caused by a silly little application that I’ve been filling out. But that is a topic for another time. For now, I’d like to discuss a comic that recently piqued my interest.
The comic in question can be found at http://xkcd.com/152/, however for those of you who are unable and/or unwilling to take a look at it yourselves, I’ll sum it up. It begins with a man summoning a genie from a lamp, who then offers the man three wishes. For his first wish, the man asks for a “human sized hamster ball”. The genie grants this wish, and the ball instantly appears around the man. “Sweet!” the man exclaims, before proceeding to happily roll around for a few minutes.
Eventually, the genie asks the man what he would like for his other wishes. The man replies, “Why would I need other wishes?” and the comic ends.
I found this comic to be pretty funny. A human sized hamster ball! How ridiculous! (I’ve heard they actually have them in New Zealand… But that’s beside the point.) However, after thinking it over for a bit, I realized that there was actually an interesting idea buried just below this comic’s surface. That idea was that we don’t need complex, extravagant possessions to be happy.
That idea, however, clashes with what the world often tells us. “Buy this, it’s the perfect gift!” screams this ad, and, “You have to own this if you ever wish to have any sort of hope of ever achieving a slight glint of happiness!” cries that one. There’s no denying that we live in a society based on consumerism. But that doesn’t change the fact that no amount of money will bring a person satisfaction.
Take celebrities, for example. They’re rich, and famous to boot! But are they exceptionally happier than those who do not posses millions of dollars? Of course not. Some of them, frustrated with the fact that their wealth leaves them discontented, even end up turn to drugs to combat their unhappiness; but that doesn’t help, either. But I’m getting slightly off track. The point is wealth does not equate to happiness.
But if that’s the case, then to what does happiness equate? The comic proposes that the answer is the simple things in life. Of course, many of us would not qualify an oversized hamster ball as simple, but the message is not literal; it is conceptual. The ball is a symbol of a new, fun experience. As the man in the comic points out, what more could you ask for?
The reason I’ve taken you through this philosophical fun relates to the current time of year: Christmas. You should keep in mind that this holiday isn’t just about the presents you receive. It’s about the simple things like spending time with your family and just having a swell time singing carols, having dinner, and chucking fruit cakes at each other (What? Your family doesn’t do that last one?)
Yes, I know that lesson seems cliché, but it remains true and bears repeating. I hope you keep it in mind over the next couple of weeks.
Merry Christmas! =]
it might be nice to roll around in one of those for a day
ReplyDelete