Monday, November 16, 2009

Is This Tomorrow?


Nick, being at a loss for blog topics, has decided to utilize song titles as his post titles, and fit the rest of the text to that title, possibly referencing the song, or possibly disregarding it entirely.

So yeah, the first one is "Is This Tomorrow?". No idea what the song itself is talking about, so I'll focus on the phrase itself.

For starters, there's the meaning of "are we in the future?".
We've come a long way. By we, I mean the human race, as a whole, and specifically in the area of scientific advancements. There exist countless doodads in our daily lives that we take for granted that would have been unimaginable to our distant ancestors.

There's also the meaning of today being the same as tomorrow, and vice versa.
People can sometimes reach a point in their lives when every day seems the same. They're stuck in a rut. Yesterday was the same as today which will be the same as tomorrow. In essence, today is tomorrow.

Such a thing happened with the Younger family in A Raisin in the Sun.

It's also a main point of the song "Clockwork" , by MuteMath. It talks about problems in a relationship, and how it is easier to just ignore them or put off fixing them until later than it is to address them now. A lyric from the chorus reads, "I know we'd rather sort it out once tomorrow comes, but tomorrow has already happened." Today was yesterdays tomorrow, and to a greater extent, yesterday was the tomorrow of the day before that. So, in a sense, tomorrow had already passed.

Incidently, I like "Clockwork" much more than "Is This Tomorrow?".

Also, clockwork is a pretty sweet word. I mean really. Have you ever noticed that? Say it with me now... "clockwork". Isn't that awesome?

1 comment:

  1. lol
    Nick your blog always interest me
    I really like this one

    ReplyDelete