Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mystery Google


[Quick Note: it formatted this post funny. I hope you guys can still read it...]

Mystery Google is pretty much the most amazing site EVARRR!

Allow me to explain...

Mystery Google is a website run by Google (hence the name). It works in almost the same way that Google's regular site does: there is a box for you to type words into, and a search button. Once the button is pressed, it displays the search results. However, the results are not for what you typed in; what is displayed before you are the results of terms that the person before you typed in. Thus, the results corresponding to what you typed in are shown to the person after you. Therefor, you never know what you'll get (again, hence the name).

I don't know how it handles inappropriate search terms, but I've never come across any, so I'd guess that the site just gets rid of those.

But the real fun with Mystey Google doesn't lie in the search results. It lies in the search terms, which are displayed at the top of the screen. For, you see, people will type the most entertaining things. Allow me to visit the site for a moment and share with you a brief list of what my fellow internauts typed into that funny little box (with numbers and emails censored for their privacy).

  1. ipod touch
  2. there was just a fight between pop tarts and toaster strudels!!!
  3. ilene schwartz
  4. call ************ and sing a disney song!
  5. what\'s in my pants?
  6. whats my mission?
  7. I KICKED A PUPPY.
  8. what should i do?
  9. i love you. :)
  10. chuck norris
  11. what is my mission?
  12. That man
  13. any hot girls out there email: *************************
  14. im scared to write my number
  15. Congratulations, Secret Agent McPanda. Now, your assignment as a mysterygoogle secret agent is to copy and paste this, until you see this again. Once you see it again, you will be promoted furthur, to Secret Agent McPegnuin. Make us proud
  16. call *********** and ask if he\'s asian
  17. texxt me **************
  18. Your Secret Agent Voldo. Now, your assignment as a mysterygoogle secret agent is to copy and paste this, until you see this again. Once you see it again, you will be promoted to Secret Agent Monkey Fishpants. Make us proud
I think you get the general gist of it. The results basically boil down into the following categories that I just decided to make up:
  • Mundane things: These are just regular things you would expect to find in a regular search. Not very interesting, but their boring-ness makes finding the good ones all the sweeter.
  • EXAMPLES: 'ipod touch', 'ilene schwartz', 'chuck norris' (There is something terribly wrong putting him in a category containing the word 'mundane')
  • Random phrases: These are the statements that make you stop and think "wut?" They can be sentences, phrases, or just words, but their randomness makes them usually funny none-the-less. This is the category for things that don't really fit anywhere else.
  • EXAMPLES: 'there was just a fight between pop tarts and toaster strudels!!!', 'I KICKED A PUPPY.', 'That man'
  • Shout-outs: These are the 'call so-and-so' or 'emai this-and-that' type messages. These messages just seem really interesting to me. Bored? Want to talk with someone you've never met before? Then throw your number/email into MGoogle, and maybe a kind stranger will contact you. I've responded to some of these before (more about that later). However, some of these message qualify as the next category...
  • EXAMPLES: 'any hot girls out there email: *************************', 'texxt me **************'
  • Missions: Missions are, well, what they sound like: things people want you to do. People will ask for missions until they find one. So far, they only ones that I have seen have either been like #4 and #16 (to contact someone and do something) or #18 (to copy/paste repeatedly). Relating to the previous category, I'd say that shout-outs involve contacting the poster while missions involve contacting someone else.
  • EXAMPLES: #4, #16, #18 (why didn't I think to do it like this in the first place?)
So that's all for the categories. Fun, fun, fun, right?

Yeah, so talking to strangers. I am currently in communication with one Mirabella of Massachusetts, who I emailed after seeing her address posted on MGoogle. She's a pretty cool person. I believe I shall continue to contact such crazy people who post a method of reaching them. At least, over the internet, anyway. I don't see myself calling/ texting any such person anytime soon without having at least met them in some other fashion.

I also don't see myself posting my own info. If I want to talk to a stranger, I'll find someone whose posted their stuff, rather than wait for someone else to find mine. Besides, who know what someone might do with my valuable information? I really have no idea what, to be honest, but hey, ya never know...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a conversation to get back to...

1 comment: