Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lil Bro




I write this blog for my English class. While I can find it an enjoyable activity, if not for the appeal of maintaining an 'A' average in that class, I would likely not continue posting. I understand that this is something that I just have to do. Writing this isn't very hard, and it doesn't take very long to do, so it's not a hard thing to accept. I do it without complaining, and have the added bonus of getting my thoughts out there.

My little brother has a similar assignment for his English class. He, on the other hand, has a different view on the work he has to do.

His assignment is pretty much the same-ish as ours; he has a notebook that he has to write in. He has to fill out so many pages each month, and turn them in for grading. He is free to write whatever he wishes, so long as it is coherent. Basically, the main difference is that we type and he writes.

My bro, however, does not share my optimistic feelings on the matter. While I cheerfully type away, he prefers to gripe and complain about his assignment. "What's the point?" he asks. "I don't have anything to write about," he moans. My mother and I answer, telling him that it will help him to become a better writer, and we provide him with many different topics.

But he still complains. He goes on and on about how he doesn't need to be a better writer; how he thinks he already knows as much as the average adult; how there is no point to the notebook whatsoever, other than to ruin his life forever. We reason with him, but he just resists.

The problem is that he doesn't want actually reasons, answers, or logic. He just wants to convince someone that he shouldn't have to write it. He sees it as some sort of confrontation or issue of principle, in which simply writing the thing is giving in and a defeat.

It's kinda annoying. So we eventually just get fed up with him and refuse to continue conversing with him.

Just throwin that out there...

[ASIDE: I found this while searching for a picture. I like it XD]

3 comments:

  1. Calvin and Hobbs are great :) I've got a book of their comics if you'd like to see it sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Calvin and Hobbes! Great recording of your thoughts, too!

    ReplyDelete