Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Shadowplay


I decided to dedicate this post to the song "Shadowplay", because that's what I was whistling when I logged in.


"Shadowplay" is an interesting tune. It was originally by a band called Joy Division, and has been covered by two of my favorite bands, The Killers and Silversun Pickups.

The version I first heard was by The Killers. Their rendition was a techno-y dance-y mix. I liked it. Listening to it made and still makes me wanna dance. It was the version that I happened to be whistling earlier. It's probably my favorite version.

A while later, while watching the music video for The Killers' version on Youtube, I discovered that it was actually a cover, thanks to the comments on the video. I had been unaware that it wasn't an original song. I learned that Joy Division, a band I had never heard of, had originally performed the song, and the version I was listening to was just a cover. I decided to hear Joy Division's.

Fortunately, it's video was available for viewing on ze tubes. Thus, I watched it. 'Twas interesting. It was definitely more rock based. It had a different sound to it. I still preferred The Killers', though.

The last version (that I know of) was done by Silversun Pickups. I discovered this version while browsing through guitar tabs of their songs. I noticed that there was an entry for a song called Shadowplay. I was intrigued. I had been unaware of any such song by them. Could it be the same tune that I already knew?

The tab included a link to a Youtube vid of the song. Following it showed me a live performance of, indeed, the same Shadowplay that I knew and loved. However, this version had its own differenced. For starters, it was entirely played by the band's front man, Brian. It featured only him and his guitar. And it was AWESOME!!

I eagerly checked back on the tab and discovered that it wouldn't really be that hard to play, aside from the fact that one has to strum REALLY FAST (by my standards, anyway). SWEET! I can now play the song aside from a weird/cool way Brian strums during the second verse, but that's not really necessary; it just adds some neat depth.

So there ya have it. Three different versions of the same song. Check 'em out, if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment