Sunday, February 28, 2010

CopyPaste

My brain works in funny ways I suppose everyone's does. However, since this is my blog, I'll be focusing on how my own brain works. Specifically an ability that I possess that I have called "CoppyPaste".

Simply put, CopyPaste means I can see something done a certain way, and recreate it- pretty much the same thing as the copy paste function on a computer.

I'm not sure whether or not everyone can do this, perhaps to varying degrees, but, as I said, I'm focussing on my own specific ability to recreate things.

CopyPaste has enabled me to do a lot of things. It's helped me to learn by following others' examples. However, blatant copying of other people is plagiarism, and in and of itself, not necissarily useful. The useful part comes in when I tweak what I copy before I paste it.

I'm able to take information from multiple sources and morph them together to actually create something new. By doing so, I take the best qualities of all of the components to create something that is, hopefully, better than the sum of its parts.

This lends itself well to my perfectionism. I often subconsciously compare what I, or someone else, is working on to another form of said something that I have previously seen that I considered high quality. If the one currently beeing worked on is not up to the standards set by the example, I attempt to indentify what needs to be improved.

Such a process acts as a sort of double-edged sword. On the positive side, it drives me to only produce the highest quality work. On the other hand, it makes me incredibliy frustrated when I see something being produced that is not up to my high standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment