Saturday, October 31, 2009

Government Project

It really bothers me that my columns take up so little space on my page. It causes many of the pictures I use to be cut off. I guess I could try another layout, but I kinda like this one. ...oh well.

Alright, on to my main topic: my government project. Isn't this going to be fun.

In class we're going over how congress works. To add to our learning experience, we were goring to experience a little simulation. Everyone in the class would be given an issue. We could choose to either be for, or against that issue (i.e. internet censorship, stem cell research). We would then have to formulate a bill out of our issue and try to pass it through our class by the following process:

We would first be put into committees of 4 or five people. Each committee would select a bill to pass. From there, the six passing bills would be presented before the entire class. There would be a vote on which one would move on to the last stage. The winning bill would then be put before the teacher, who could veto it if he so chose. However, if he approved, then that bill would be passed, and the student that put it forward would receive 15 bonus points.

However, to add a twist, throughout this entire process you could lobby people with the 15 bonus points that you might win, in order to gain their support for your bill. If you won, you would pay out any promised points and keep the rest. If you lost, neither you nor the people you promised points to received any of your 15 points. It was designed to show how money affects real world politics.

Whew, now that the explanation's over, let's move on to what actually happened.

My issue was the legalization of marijuana. After a bit of thought, I decided to be for it. Here's why:

I don't think that people should use marijuana, but then again, I don't think that people should listen to Party in the USA, so I guess to each his own. The real issue, to me, is the marijuana hurts the person using it, and it's not the government's job to be your parent and tell you what morals to live by. So, if a person wants to do weed, I say let them. Of course, there would be some restrictions, like an age limit and no driving while under the influence.

After doing some research, I found some other reasons that supported my cause. Marijuana can be used for medical purposes for people with certain diseases. One of the people in the class knows someone who initially had only months to live, but after marijuana treatment, has 10+ years to look forward to.

A major pro would be the economic implications. There is a huge trade of the drug out there. If it was legalized, the government could tax it, bringing in a good source of income to help with the deficit. It could also create some new jobs, and keep money in America, as there would be a lower reliance on foreign sources.

Relating to the previous point, if it was legalized, then we wouldn't need to arrest/jail those who have it. That would cut down law enforcement costs immensely : an estimated $7 billion.

Of course, there are drawbacks to legalization. Many believe that marijuana acts as a 'gateway drug', which eventually leads people to other, harder substances. Also, if it was legalized, many people might move on to harder drugs. Would they not then be eventually legalized? If so, where would the line be drawn?

Anyway, on to how it went.

My bill was passed in my committee with little opposition.

Each of the 6 passing bills was then presented to the class by their committee. We then started debating the issues. But about halfway through, there was an announcement made for people who had sold discount cards, or something like that. The people who qualified could go get snacks or something. About 5 or 6 people from our class left. But the teacher felt that we could still go on without them. So we did.

The debate over my topic was pretty heated. Some people completely brushed it off:

"Are they seriously talking about legalizing marijuana?"

"Oh my god, this is so stupid."

This made me sad =(

However, those people also knew people who had used marijuana before. I can't say that of myself, so I feel that they might of had an edge experience-wise over me.

However, I also felt that they were letting their own values guide their judgment. I think that we should live in a society without any need for drugs; one in which people wouldn't want to use them. But that's not the case. I don't think that people should use marijuana, but it's their decision. It doesn't hinder my life, only their own. If this is a government run by the people, and the people want to allow marijuana use, then its use should be legal.

But they didn't see it that way. I believe their logic was something like:

I don't like marijuana. Therefore, no one should use it. Hence, it should be illegal.

'Tis a slippery slope.

I think some of the people in there hate me now ='( But oh well, you can't please everyone.

Anyway, the afternoon announcements came on in the middle of us debating the last issue, signifying that school was almost over. So we had a really quick vote by raising our hands when he pointed to the issues. He went to mine 5th, and the one which seemed to be the biggest competitor (mandatory PE for k-12) 2nd.

First issue 2 votes
P.E. 8 votes
Third issue 1 vote
Fourth issue (I don't remember. less than 4)
My issue 2 votes
Sixth issue The bell rang then, but there weren't enough people to overturn 8, so the second issue was declared the winner.

I would be okay with losing a fair vote. But this one wasn't fair. When the 2nd issue was pointed to, 4 people initially raised their hands. The other 4 joined in because they saw those first four voting. I think they were just trying to fit in. Had it been an anonymous vote, I believe things would have gone differently.

I asked the teacher about that, and he said that we would have a re-vote next class with everyone in there. However, even if it is anonymous this time, I think those people who voted for P.E. will still vote that way, seeing that their friends are doing it, too.

I guess that's how politics go.....

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha hahahaha hahahahahahahahaha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah haha ha

    ReplyDelete